If Jesus gives us the Spirit of the Law in the Sermon on the Mount, then the Spirit of the Law is revealed as non-violent.
If the Spirit of the Law is non-violent, the heart of God is non-violent.
If the heart of God is non-violent, this changes everything for me:
- my involvement in national politics,
- my perspective on church governance,
- how I join parishioners in praying for our loved ones who are in enlisted,
- what I think about “last things,”
- how I share the Gospel in and out of the pulpit
My experience is that once you see the non-violent heart of God in Christ, you can’t unsee it.
Christ alone reveals to us the fullness of the heart of God. The more I look on him–incarnating, teaching, healing, dying, rising, ruling, and loving non-violently in it all–the more compelling the vision becomes.
And the vision just gets more compelling.